Saturday, November 23, 2013

Question Time... Gastric Stimulators with Pregnancy and Morning Sickness

Today I thought I would go ahead and answer some questions from people that have sent me messages about my pregnancy and GP. This is why I started the blog so that maybe in some way it would be helpful to those that are concerned about these topics. I'm in no way a doctor and my answers are based on my personal experiences. 


Question: "I bookmarked your blog and can't wait to follow this baby's progression, can I ask you a question, are they concerned at all about pain with the location of the gastric stimulator (aka gastric pacer) battery back as your tummy grows? I'm a pacer and a tubie as well, so your journey will be an inspiration for me one day hopefully!" 

Answer: I think the person that was most concerned about the pain with the location of the Gastric Stimulator (aka gastric pacer) as my tummy grows is me. That was one of my biggest fears not knowing how that would come into play as I progressed in my pregnancy. The doctors said that it should not affect the baby at all when it comes to the stimulator and the stimulation because it stimulates my stomach only and is not near my uterus. As for if it will move when I grow, it is stitched in its own 'pocket' and I have excess leads to allow room for growing. The battery pack itself is placed lower on me near my waist line on the left side. Some people depending on the surgeon and their bodies have it placed higher on the abdomen so it might be different but I am not quite sure. The doctors said for me that my body will grow and adjust with the stimulator and my GI doctor and OB/GYN are not too concerned about it, which made me feel more at ease. Medtronic, the company that makes my gastric stimulator does not have a lot of information so far on the topic of having Gastroparesis with the treatment of their gastric stimulator while being pregnant; however, their website does have awesome information about the Gastroparesis and the gastric stimulator. 

Question: " I am having a hard time with Gastroparesis and morning sickness. Was there anything that helped you get through it? I feel like it's never going to end and that I'm just going to feel like this forever. I can't deal with it. Any advice would be appreciated! I don't have a stimulator and I'm not tube fed and I'm very concerned about getting the nutrients. Thanks so much!"


Answer: First of all congratulations on your pregnancy! That is so exciting and I wish you all of the best for you, your baby, and your family! I went through horrible morning sickness like you are going through when I was in my first trimester. I too thought that it was never going to end and was worried about getting nutrients in since I was having a hard time keeping them down. My morning sickness lasted throughout the day and into the night especially in weeks 10-12, I think those were the hardest. I tried a lot of ginger things, ginger ale helped if I took little sips and they also have these hard candies called Preggie Pops that are natural and are supposed to reduce morning sickness and nausea. They have ginger in them and they worked well for me; I kept them with me at all times. I first got them at Babies R Us in a pack but then ordered them off of Amazon as well. They have good tasting flavors like raspberry, tangerine, apple, and lemon. If you can't find those maybe try some other hard candies that are easier to find. Try and drink liquids more too if you are having a difficult time with solids, maybe even chicken broth if that works for you. It was basically trial and error with me, but once you get out of your first trimester it should start getting better. I had lost 2 pounds from all of the vomiting and was concerned but my high risk OB nurse said that it was alright and just to keep trying. I take zofran to help with nausea as well since it is a safe medicine during pregnancy to help with my nausea. I know that it is scary when you are afraid that you are not getting enough nutrients and are vomiting, but if you do have concerns always call your doctor and ask. I've called a couple of times with questions that I felt so much better about after talking to the nurses. Good luck!

I hope that this is helpful not only for the people that asked these questions, but for people that may be wondering the same thing. I hope that everyone is having a wonderful weekend!

~Megan

"Only in the darkness can you see the stars" - Martin Luther King Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment